We all know we should take the time to cook a healthy dinner every night. Protein and a couple of vegetables. But for many of us that doesn't happen.
Especially when you live alone, after a full day, the last thing you feel like doing many days is cooking. There have been many nights when a couple of slices of almond bread with cheese and a glass of wine have been dinner. Not that bad for you every once in a while, but not something you want to be having every day.
That's why I've been looking for quick and easy meals I can put together without too much trouble in just a few minutes. Things that don't require much more work than heating up a frozen diet dinner - but much better for me.
Here is last night's dinner. Quick, Easy ..... and delicious.
8 asparagus stalks
4 medium thick slices nitrate-free ham
8 cherry tomatoes
freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons table cream
1 tablespoon Boursin herb & garlic cream cheese (or your favourite flavour)
- Heat your toaster oven to 400'F.
- Wash and dry the asparagus and snap off the ends.
- Wrap 2 spears in each slice of ham as shown above and place on a small oven tray.
- Wash and dry the cherry tomatoes and add these to the tray.
- Sprinkle liberally with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile place the cream and the cheese in a small dish (I use an egg cup) and heat in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir.
- When the 15 minutes are up, place the ham wrapped asparagus on a plate and drizzle with the cheese sauce. Add the cherry tomatoes and enjoy.
This makes a great light supper, especially if you add a glass of red wine and a couple of squares of dark chocolate for dessert. You can always add a small side salad as well.
This amazingly simple meal looks nice enough for company. If you serve this at your next dinner party I'm sure nobody will complain, and they will certainly never know just how quickly and easily you put this together.